Tropic Fever

Nothing can energize my creative mind and blast my brain full of new ideas like TRAVEL can! I make it a priority and try to have something like 2 big trips per year, with some little ones added in.

I went to Mexico in the summer, and this winter I visited Hawaii for the first time since I was a child.

You know how, when you're little, everything seems magical and beautiful; and as you get older, you get more cynical and see more negative things about everything? That's why I thought that I might see a slightly less-glamorous Hawaii than I did when I was 4, but guess what?

Hawaii put a giant shush-finger on my mouth and made me see this. Right in my neighborhood.


And I saw that the WAVES themselves are bright teal as they come crashing down toward the shore, floofing into a foamy blanket of white.


And I saw that the plain old "overrated" sunsets look like this.


And that when you go into the mountains, there are slices of sideways, impossibly steep angles covered from bottom to top in lush green. I didn't see any scary bugs, either. Not even one. It was just peaceful, breezy quietness. Probably because all the carpets of green absorb all noise.


And real sea turtles come up and sleep on the beach next to where you're staying. At first they were so still that I was afraid they were dead... but then as I stared at one, he slowly opened his giant dark eyes and gave me a knowing nod. I didn't see any other movement from any of them after that. Magical moment!


And you can chase and find the boldest, hugest, clearest rainbows you've ever dreamed of.


And, since the islands aren't that big, pretty much every common place looks like some variation of this.


And the fruit tastes like heaven in your mouth. Papayas in Oklahoma Wal-mart produce section, please change your name, since it's an insult to the real Papayas that commonly grow in people's yards in Hawaii.


And the sand is über-soft between your toes. And the people are friendly, kind, and welcoming. And colorful geckos and random wild chickens are as abundant as squirrels! And the weather truly is perfect, even in the dead of winter. And everything is alive in blazing, brilliant color.

My color-loving heart is about to burst with excitement! Looking forward to a very vibrant 2014.

<3 JUURI

(All photos are © JUURI Art. You can share them, but please give credit. Thanks!)

Tropic Fever Tropic Fever Reviewed by Julie R on 2:31 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.