First Artist Interview! Odile van der Stap



I will start having artist interviews now-and-again, when I find someone whom I think is exceptional, and when they are kind enough to answer my interview questions! Today, I'm featuring Odile van der Stap, who is a digital artist from the Netherlands.

Below is the first piece that interested me in her work. I love the interesting composition and angle of the nun's face, and the sweep of hair. I lover her use of symbolism, interesting composition and angles, and her great technical skill.


J: Do you do art full-time? How do you like working as a freelancer?

Odile: I don't do art full-time. I have a second job to pay my monthly expenses. When I earn money with art, it goes straight to my savings haha. I do like working as a freelancer, but like everything it has cons and pros. You get in touch with a lot of people who want illustrations for an unfair amount of money, or worse: for free. And these aren't just individual clients, even companies want to sit in the front row for a few dimes. On the other hand, it's a lot of fun to earn money with doing what I like most.




J: What is the art scene like in the Netherlands? Would you like to continue working there for a long time?

Odile: I get all my cliënts through the internet, so it doesn't really matter where I live but I think I would have better chances in the US concerning expositions and fame.




J: Your drawings and colors are so technically perfect and sophisticated. Did you study very hard to achieve this, or are you naturally talented?

Odile: I am, like most artists I think, naturally talented. But to keep improving and reach a certain level I do have to keep pushing myself to create better art everyday. It doesn't just comes natural. If I haven't been pursuing art as passionate as the last few years, I wouldn't be drawing the way I do now.

J: There is so much symbolism and meaning in your work. Is this imagery hard to come up with?

Odile: It depends. Sometimes I know exactly what I want to draw and it's on paper before I know it, but usually I have to experiment a lot before I get to the initial concept.



J: Who are your favorite artists?

Odile: I don't think I really have 'favorite' artists... But some artists who's work I like are: James Jean, Sam Weber, Bhao Pam, Lois van Baarle, Jeff Simpson, Yana Moskaluk, Cellar-fcp, Kidchan, but also artists like J.C. Leyendecker, Gustav Klimt, etc.

I will definitely have to check them out, and will be excited to see your new works, too. Thank you Odile!
First Artist Interview! Odile van der Stap First Artist Interview! Odile van der Stap Reviewed by JUURI on 12:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.