The Japanese Calligraphy of Shouko Kanazawa 金沢翔子

Yesterday I discovered (via my dear mom) about Japanese Shodo (Calligraphy) artist Shouko Kanazawa.


Despite the difficulties of having Down's Syndrome, Shouko has become a renowned artist, with her work being displayed in temples and in exhibitions all over the Japan. Now, for the fact that I moved to the US when I was 6 years old, I have extremely limited knowledge of "good" or "bad" calligraphy. But I know when something moves my soul, and Shouko's work affects me so very strongly. I don't even know why, but watching her paint makes me cry! And I can't remember the last time an artist's work made me so emotional.




This year, NHK (like the Japanese version of PBS) asked her to create the title for their new 2012 historical drama, "Taira no Kiyomori." Here's what she wrote...



...and then, the official poster below.


Maybe I'm crying because of the spirit and power in her letters. That it's the story of her life and from the depth of her soul. Below are some of my favorites. Hopefully someday, I can own one of her works.


"Mu" which means "no, nothing"



"Niji" which means "rainbow"



"shou" The first letter of her name, which means "fly, soar, reap" so fitting!



"gekkou" which means "moonlight"


"busshin" which means "compassion or mercy like that of Buddha"
The Japanese Calligraphy of Shouko Kanazawa 金沢翔子 The Japanese Calligraphy of Shouko Kanazawa 金沢翔子 Reviewed by JUURI on 12:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.