New Tradigital Art: "Four Hundred and Thirty"

This tradigital piece came about sporadically and I wasn't even sure what it meant until I was at the end, when all the meanings started pouring out into my head and it just made me scream!

The flowers are the Albizia flower, a mysteriously sweet and nostalgic memory from my childhood. I just recently found out the name of the plant! It turns out they are used as herbs for relieving stress and depression. Again I didn't know that when I started painting them :)

The title, "Four Hundred and Thirty", refers to the number of long years that the ancient Jews were slaves in Egypt before they were set free. This painting is also about people who come out of an interminably long lifetime of mental slavery. How many of us still live like slaves when we are completely free, purchased at a great price?

Four Hundred and Thirty | 48x48" | Tradigital Art | Print available in S, M, L sizes

Anyway, here is the poem I wrote for this piece. It's from the point of view of a little lamb, who is actually the main character of the painting although you don't see him.

Four Hundred and Thirty years
Is a long time to be a slave.
So long that you'll probably
Find it familiar, and freedom strange.
Maybe that's why you'll keep
Seeking the burden.

Thirteen days you looked after me
Tomorrow I'll no longer be, but
When your doorways glow crimson
Know that judgment has passed over

Remember you are free
For I make you free indeed
Split the ropes and break the yoke
Children, drop your chains
And sing

#passover #lamb #freedom #angelofdeath #dropyourchains #freeindeed #yokeofslavery #slavesinegypt #chistianart #messianicart #exodus #430 #israelart
New Tradigital Art: "Four Hundred and Thirty" New Tradigital Art: "Four Hundred and Thirty" Reviewed by Julie R on 9:05 PM Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. My post was:

    Dear JUURI, I am a sudent taking a course on Diverse Histories in Contemporary Art. Today we spoke about Japonisme in 19th century France and the differences between appropriation and appreciation/inspiration or homages of artists to other artists. It seems to me you have a very intuitive and natural approach to creating art (please feel free to let me know more about your way of working). I wondered how much you as an artist think about in what ways your artwork is influenced by different cultures and artists, in what way these influences can fuel creativity positively in an artist and also how art of other cultures can be instrumentalized so that an eschewed image of the foreign culture is created. Warm regards & thanks a lot for your response, Jannike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jannike, thanks for your thoughtful question.

      I explore Japanese themes most of all because I am Japanese-American and my culture is a source of pride and beauty for me. I think all artists should be free to create whatever inspires them with no fear of appropriation, as long as respect is the overwhelming theme. I think respect is the difference between appreciation/admiration and mindless misrepresentation of someone else's culture. Respect means that I may not be right all the time, because I don't know so much about this culture but I appreciate its beauty. If I am corrected, I will accept correction graciously because I am representing something that belongs to someone else.

      I can't speak for other cultures, but Japanese (who were raised in Japan) usually really appreciate when Westerners are influenced by our culture or want to try on kimono! We think it's fun to let someone enjoy our heritage! :) Julie

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.